By Venishree Mayer
Origin: South Africa
The sponge is so versatile and light and fluffy. Use only the best and fresh eggs! Perfect to eat with a cup of tea.
8 large eggs
2 cups sugar
1 cup EVOO
5 tbsp lemon juice
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 fina salt
2 tsp lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees (Fan).
- Grease and line with greaseproof paper a 26 cm round cake tin.
- Using your mixer, beat eggs and sugar on high until the mixture is fluffy and has doubled in volume (between 5-7 minutes total mixing time)
- While the eggs and sugar are mixing, in a separated bowl whisk together flour, baking, powder, salt and lemon zest.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in EVOO and lemos juice into the egg mixture. Using the same spatula, fold in flour mixture into de wet mixture until the flour disappears. Do not overmix.
- Pour the cake batter into your prepared pan and gently tap on a solid surface to remove some of the larger egg bubbles. Bake for 40-45 minutes until the top is a light brown and a toothpick entered in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Gently run a butter knife along the edges of the cake to release it from the pan and continue cooling on a wired rack.
Simple: dust with powdered icing sugar prior to serving.
Elegant and decadent: Blue Mascarpone cake
250 g mascarpone
250 ml fresh cream
200 g smooth cream cheese
Handful of fresh blueberries
1/4 cup sifted icing sugar
Mix mascarpone, icing sugar and cream cheese well.
Beat fresh cream separately and then fold into the above mixture. Add some blueberries to the mix.
Cut the bake in half.
Take a tablespoon and put heaps of the mix all over the cake so that you can smoothen it out gently. Use only half of the mix.
Put top half of cake back on to sandwich them.
Use rest of the mix to decorate top of the cake and decorate with the blueberries.
Allow to stand in the fridge until ready to serve.
About the author: Venishree Mayer produces olive oil in the beautiful Tulbagh, Western Cape. She became the first Indian woman and producer in South Africa to win a medal at the annual SA Olive Awards with her brand Adhara.